Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clements Log Cabin



Marker ID:  
Location: 101 Lake Dow Road, McDonough, GA
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 33° 26.505    W 084° 7.228
  33.44175    -84.12046666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Clements Log Cabin
—Heritage Park Historical Village —


Turner Hunt Clements, an early settler, built this log cabin in the 1820's. It originally stood on Georgia Highway 20, northeast of McDonough and is one of the oldest buildings in Henry County. The last to live in this cabin were George and Shirley Kelley. Although extremely small by today's housing standards, this cabin was typical of what most farm families lived in during the nineteenth century. Families with ten children cooked, ate and slept in the one downstairs room and loft. We have to bear in mind, though, that back then people lived and worked outdoors most of the time. They rested on the porch outside and the children played outside almost all of the time.

Erected by Mrs. Bertie Arndt.



 

 

075-A05