Historic Markers Across Georgia



Floyd Chapel Baptist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: 104 1st Street, Stockbridge, GA
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 33° 32.551    W 084° 14.069
  33.54251666    -84.23448333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Floyd Chapel Baptist Church


Floyd Chapel Baptist Church was a safe place for African Americans to worship in the early 1800s. One of the first churches in Stock bridge, its original location was approximately 1.5 miles north, off of what is now called East Atlanta Road. A cemetery, shared by both Floyd Chapel and the historic Trinity United Methodist Church (est. 1856), still exists at the original site.

Floyd Chapel was moved here in 1878 and has endured as a cornerstone of Stockbridge's African American community. During the late 1920s, another wood-framed church was constructed at this same site. In 1949 that building was torn down and a new church was erected with the existing blocks.

Rev. Martin Luther King, Sr., father of renowned civil rights leader and Nobel Prize winner, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., worshiped at Floyd Chapel as a child with his mother Delia Lindsay King. He received his calling to the ministry at age 10. Later, at age 15, he was ordained as a minister and preached his first sermon in this church. In adulthood, King, Sr. would as "Daddy King," a well-respected minister, influential community organizer, and early champion of civil rights in the Jim Crow South.

Erected 2016 by the Stockbridge Main Street Program.



 

 

075-A12