Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Coffee Road



Marker ID: GHM 077-1B
Location: Ga 90 at Lax
County: Irwin
Coordinates: N 31° 28.409    W 083° 7.509
  31.47348213    -83.12514496
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAG7Q
Old Coffee Road Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This highway leading north and south at this point is the Old Coffee Road, earliest vehicular and postal route of this section.

Beginning at Swains Ferry on the Ocmulgee River, it ran this way to the Florida line via today´s Lax, Nashville, Cecil, Barwick, and Thomasville. The thoroughfare was opened in 1823 by order of the State under supervision of Gen. John Coffee and Thomas Swain. Near this place the Coffee Road was crossed by the Columbus - St. Mary´s Road which was opened by the State in the mid-1830´s. In its day, the latter route was the longest thoroughfare in Georgia.

GHM 077-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

077-1B