Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dorminy's Meeting House, Young's Meeting House, Brushy Creek



Marker ID: GHM 077-7
Location: Brushy Creek Rd off Ga 90, southeast of Ocilla
County: Irwin
Coordinates: N 31° 32.783    W 83° 13.733
  31.54638333    -83.22888
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAG7H
Dorminy's Meeting House, Young's Meeting House, Brushy Creek Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Dorminy´s Meeting House was constituted December 17, 1831, on a site 1 mile Northwest of Irwinville, near the home of John B. Dorminy, Sr. The Church was of the Primitive Baptist faith, and the elders constituting it were the rev. J. Baker and the Rev. John Marshall. Organizing members were: John Dorminy, Sr., Rachel Dorminy, Samuel Goff, Tobitha Goff, Susan Jernigan, Richard Tucker, Thomas Wooddard, Nancy Wooddard, Sarah Smith. John Dorminy, Sr., was Clerk.

The Rev. Archibald Odum was the first regular pastor, beginning his pastorate February 21, 1835.

In 1836, by unanimous agreement of the members, the church was moved to Young´s Meeting House in the 3rd District of Irwin County. The church remained at the Young´s Meeting House site until 1853. On March 26, of that year, upon motion duly made and carried, it was agreed to move the church to Brush Creek, the present site. Only the old cemeteries remain to mark the locations of Dorminy´s Meeting House and Young´s Meeting House.

GHM 077-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958




Dorminy's Meeting House, Young's Meeting House, Brushy Creek
Photo by Ken Moser



 

077-7