Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jackson County



Marker ID: GHM 078-1
Location: Courthouse in Jefferson
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 34° 7.11    W 083° 34.458
  34.11849976    -83.57430267
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2AF
Jackson County  Marker  



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 11, 1796, is named for James Jackson who later became Governor in 1798-1801. A soldier of the Revolution he served in Congress 1789-91 and in the Senate 1793-95 and 1801-06. He strongly opposed the Yazoo fraud, and died in 1806. Here in Jefferson ether was first used as an anesthetic in surgery by Dr. Crawford W. Long on March 30, 1842. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff John Hart, Clerk of Superior Court George Taylor, Clerk of Inferior Court Daniel W. Eaasley, Coroner Isham Williams and Surveyor James Harper.

GHM 078-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

Jackson County


 

078-1