Historic Markers Across Georgia



Braselton School Bell



Marker ID:  
Location: at the Town Hall on GA 53 in Braselton, GA
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 34° 06.441    W 083° 45.458
  34.10735    -83.75763333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7J52
Braselton School Bell Marker  



Text:

Originally located in the bell tower of the Braselton High School, the bell was commissioned by Senator Isaac Frank Duncan for all students from 1920 until 1957. The school was built by the Town of Braselton´s founders, and when it closed in 1957, the bell was returned to Senator Duncan´s family.

The bell was later donated to the Town by the children of Green and May Braselton who were the Senator´s grandchildren.

The restored school bell is a symbol of pride for Braselton, where generations heard its sound for school and community events. It is rededicated by the Mayor and Council in 2004.

The Gazebo housing the bell is made possible by the civic generosity of Tom Bowen, the Braselton Rotary Club, Earl H. Graham, Mayor Pat Graham, D.G. Jenkins, Corporation and Select Brokers.



 
Braselton School Bell
Braselton School Bell


 

078-A8