Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hoschton Train Depot



Marker ID: GHS 78-1
Location: at the train depot in Hoschton
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 34° 5.838    W 083° 45.708
  34.09730148    -83.76180267
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM28W
Hoschton Train Depot  Marker  



Text:

The four Hosch brothers founded Hoschton in 1881 in the hope of influencing the proposed route of the Gainesville, Jefferson and Southern Railroad. In 1883 this deport was built on land donated by the brothers. The railroad transformed the town and surrounding areas, serving as a catalyst for the development of commerce, agriculture, education, industry, communications, and transportation. The railroad provided a link with other Georgia communities, opened the market for the region´s agricultural products, made manufactured goods widely available, and stimulated the growth of businesses, churches, schools, and the town itself. Train service ended in 1947.

2002.8 Erected by the Georgia ´Historical Society, the City of Hoschton, Hoschton´s Women´s Civic Club, and Hosch family descendants. 78-1



 
Hoschton Train Depot
Hoschton Train Depot


 

078-HS1