Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Braselton Family



Marker ID: GHS 78-3
Location: Town Hall on Ga 53, Braselton, GA
County: Jackson
Coordinates: N 34° 6.407    W 083° 45.73
  34.10678333    -83.76216667
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPFH
The Braselton Family Marker  



Text:

In 1876 William H. Braselton, Sr. and his wife, Susan Hosch Braselton, established a 796-acre farm in western Jackson County . The Braseltons´ children, Henry, Green, John Oliver, Belle, and Lena , grew up working on the family farm, developing several support businesses such as a store and fertilizer operation. The arrival of first the railroad in 1902 and then a state highway in 1927 allowed expansion of farming operations. In 1916 the town of Braselton was incorporated. In addition to the farm, the development of a mercantile and grocery business as well as a grist and flour mill led the brothers to form Braselton Brothers, Inc. in 1921. Braselton Brothers also funded local schools, and published the monthly Four County Booster from 1912-1933.


Georgia Historical Society and the
78-3 Braselton Cemetery Foundation 2006.5



 

 

078-HS3