Historic Markers Across Georgia



Across the Ocmulgee



Marker ID: GHM 079-10
Location: at Ben Hill School on Ga. 11 in Hillsboro, Ga.
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 33° 10.614    W 083° 38.352
  33.17689896    -83.6391983
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1HTK
Across the Ocmulgee Marker
Photo by mtn-man



Text:

Late on Nov. 17, 1864, the 29th Missouri Mounted Infantry [US] seized the ferry at Planters Factory (Ocmulgee Mills) on the Ocmulgee River at Seven Islands (12 miles NW) to secure it for the crossing of the Right Wing of General Sherman´s army into Jasper County. Next day, the 1st Missouri Engineers laid two pontoon bridges at the site and the crossing began.

Smith´s division, 15th Corps, crossed first and halted two miles toward Hillsboro to wait for Kilpatrick´s cavalry division to cross and pass to the front. Blair´s 17th Corps crossed and marched via Monticello to avoid Hillsboro. Early on the 19th, Kilpatrick crossed and took the advance. Smith moved through Hillsboro and camped near the county line. Woods´ and Hazen´s divisions, 15th Corps, and the Artillery Brigade followed and camped in and around Hillsboro. Hq. Right Wing (Howard) and Hq. 15th Corps (Osterhaus) were established here for the night.

Heavy rains having made the roads extremely difficult, the crossing was not completed until after noon on the 20th when Corse´s division, 15th Corps, crossed, took up the bridges and, encumbered with wagon trains, a cattle herd and the pontoons, moved to Monticello and encamped. That day, Smith, Woods and Hazen moved to Clinton and Blair to Blountsville (11 miles SE on US 129). Corse reached Hillsboro on the 21st.


GHM 079-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

079-10