Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Midway Methodist Church - Removed



Marker ID: GHM 079-2
Location: Ga 142 at Kelly between Shady Dale and Newborn/The marker has been removed.
County: Jasper
Coordinates: N 33° 26.616    W 083° 36.966
  33.4435997    -83.6160965
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This church, constituted in 1819, was built on an acre of ground near Gap Creek, deeded by Obediah Belcher to trustees Samuel Shy, Henry Warr, James Hodges, Adam Mayberry and Jeremiah Lumsden for a meeting house. In 1844, the first log meeting house was moved Y2 mile W. to this site. Land for the church, school and cemetery was given by Rev. Jeremiah Lumsden, preacher on this circuit 1804-1837. Among its pastors was Rev. Sam. P. Jones in 1880. Services were held until about 1940. Pioneer Belcher, Kelly, Shaw, Jones, Spears, Geiger, Binford, Shy, Lumsden families lie in unmarked graves in the large cemetery nearby.

GHM 079-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION



 
Notes:

The marker has been removed.

 

079-2