Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old State Capitol



Marker ID: GHM 081-2
Location: Courthouse on US 1 in Louisville
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 32° 59.92    W 082° 24.49
  32.99866    -82.40816
Waymark: WM6HCW
Old State Capitol Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Old State Capitol


Georgia´s Capitol was on this site, (1794- 1807). Colonists on the coast had urged a location on higher ground ´with good drinking water.´

The famous constitutional convention of 1798 was held here and the document then adopted lasted for seventy years.

Georgia´s Great Seal, still in use, was adopted here in 1799.

Governor who served here were Jared Irwin, James Jackson, David Emanuel, Joisah Tattnall, and John Milledge.

GHM 081-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

081-2