Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Quaker Road



Marker ID: GHM 081-5
Location: US 1 at Old Quaker Road in north section of Wrens
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 12.946    W 082° 22.985
  33.21577    -82.38309
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HEY
Old Quaker Road Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The highway crossing here is the Old Quaker Road, one of Georgia´s earliest vehicular thoroughfares. It was opened about 1769 to provide a direct way from Savannah, the Colonial capital, to a Quaker settlement centering around Wrightsboro in today´s upper McDuffie County.

The Quaker Road was one of the longest and most important routes of the Province of Georgia.

Much of the original way remains in daily use.

GHM 081-5 Georgia Historical Commission 2000



 

 

081-5