Historic Markers Across Georgia



Roger Lawson House-1759



Marker ID: GHM 081-7
Location: On 5th street in the west edge of Louisville - removed
County: Jefferson
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

"Mount Pleasant" was built by Roger Lawson in 1759 on land granted by the British Crown. At the rear of the house may be seen the remains of his old fort for defense against Indians who killed two of his sons. Roger Lawson, who was an outstanding figure in the Revolutionary War, gave the land for the city of Louisville and for the old Louisville Academy, one of Georgia´s first schools. His father, Hugh Lawson, was among those chosen to select a site for the first Capital of Georgia. The house has been owned by only three families in 200 years.


GHM 081-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION



 
Notes:

marker has been removed