Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Savannah Road



Marker ID: GHM 081-9
Location: US 319/US 221 about 1.5 miles S of Bartow near Nails Creek
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 32° 51.663    W 082° 28.738
  32.86105    -82.47896666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6H6B
Old Savannah Road Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The highway crossing here is the Old Savannah Road, one of the earliest vehicular routes west of the Ogeechee River. It led from Savannah to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, below today´s Milledgeville, along the course of a former trading path to the Creek Indians of western Georgia and eastern Alabama. It is believed General Oglethorpe travelled this part of the Indian trail in 1739 on his way to treat with the Indians at Coweta Town, on the Chattahoochee River below Columbus in present Alabama. Much of this pioneer thoroughfare remains in daily use


GHM 081-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

081-9