Historic Markers Across Georgia



Louisville, Georgia 1786-1986



Marker ID: FAPL 
Location: Near market on US 1, downtown Louisville
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 00.041    W 082° 24.609
  33.00068333    -82.41015
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HDD
Louisville, Georgia 1786-1986 Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Chartered in 1786, the City of Louisville was named in honor of King Louis XVI in appreciation for the help he gave the colonies during the American Revolution. From 1796 to 1805, Louisville served as the first permanent capital of Georgia: the present county courthouse (Louisville is the county seat of Jefferson County) is built on the site of the old state Capitol. The old Market House, perhaps Louisville´s most famous landmark, still stands in the center of town.

This marker erected in 1986 in celebration of Louisville´s two hundredth anniversary and in memory of A.P. Little (1891-1971), who served as Louisville´s City Clerk-Manager from 1922 until his retirement in 1967. Given by his family.



 

 

081-A5