Historic Markers Across Georgia



Ways Baptist Church and Stellaville School



Marker ID: GHS 81.1
Location: at 4991 Campground Rd, Wrens
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 33° 10.964    W 082° 20.010
  33.18273333    -82.3335
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6HF0
Ways Baptist Church and Stellaville School  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Ways Baptist Church was established in 1817. Originally known as Darcy´s Meeting House, the church was formed by members of the Brush Creek Church. In 1868 Ways Church organized the Stellaville School, which was active until the mid 1940s. The only high school in the county outside of Louisville, Stellaville draw students from as fr away as South Carolina. The schools´ faculty included some of Georgia´s leading educators at that time, such as Professor V.T. Sanford of the Sanford family of Mercer University. These instructors were brought to Stellaville by Reverend W.L. Kilpatrick, who served as chairman of Merceer´s trustees, and led the Ways Baptist Church congregation from 1866-1891.

2004.8 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and 81-1
Ways Baptist Church



 

 

081-HS1