Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Buckhead Church



Marker ID: GHM 082-1
Location: US 25 about two miles south of Perkins
County: Jenkins
Coordinates: N 32° 53.313    W 081° 57.965
  32.88855    -81.96608
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7W1K
Old Buckhead Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

4.3 miles west of this point stands Old Buckhead Church. The present structure built around 1845 housed one of the oldest Baptist Congregations in the United States.

The Buckhead Church was organized prior to the Revolution under the leadership of Rev. Matthew Moore. It was re-organized in 1787. The Georgia Baptist Convention met here in 1831 to pass the initial resolution that founded Mercer University.

During the War Between the States the church yard became the scene of a skirmish between the 3d Cav. Div. of Gen. J. Kilpatrick, (F flag), the Cav. Corps of Gen. Joseph Wheeler (C flag), Nov. 28th, 1864.

GHM 082-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1953




Old Buckhead Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

082-1