Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jenkins Courthouse



Marker ID: GHM 082-2
Location: Courthouse in Millen
County: Jenkins
Coordinates: N 32° 48.227    W 081° 56.347
  32.80379    -81.93911
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7W5G
Jenkins Courthouse Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Jenkins County was organized from territory cut from Burke, Screven, Bulloch, and Emanuel counties in 1905, and officially began its function as a new political unit on Jan. 1, 1906.

The first court house was completed in March, 1908 and burned Jan. 5, 1910. The present structure, essentially identical to the first, was rebuilt within the following two years. The building was designed by Lewis F. Goodrick of Augusta and its extravagant Italian Renaissance lines reflect something of the boundless optimism and pride of achievement of our early citizens.

GHM 082-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



Jenkins Co. Courthouse
Jenkins Courthouse
Photo by Ken Moser



 

082-2