Historic Markers Across Georgia



Millen



Marker ID: GHM 082-3
Location: Railroad Depot in Millen
County: Jenkins
Coordinates: N 32° 48.127    W 081° 56.453
  32.80212    -81.94088
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM80AQ
Millen Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The city of Millen began about 1835 at a site 200 yds. N. of this marker as the road side inn of Robert Hendricks Gray. In Nov., 1851 the Wayne borough and Augusta Rail Road was extended to meet the line laid though here in 1839 by the Central Rail Road and Banking Co., making this spot an important junction on one of the earliest railroad systems in the U.S.

Millen was apparently named for McPherson B. Millen, railroad superintendent, Savannah. Dec. 3, 1864, the old inn, the railroad buildings and the Confederate army warehouse here burned by the armies of Gen. Sherman [USA]. After the war the town was rebuilt & in 1881 was incorporated.

GHM 082-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

082-3