Historic Markers Across Georgia



The March to the Sea



Marker ID: GHM 082-8B
Location: US 25 at Perkins crossroads between Waynesboro and Millen
County: Jenkins
Coordinates: N 32° 54.647    W 081° 57.997
  32.91079    -81.96662
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communication with the north. Maj. Gen W. T. Sherman. USA, began his destructive Campaign for Savannah—the March to the Sea. He divided his Army [USA] into two wings. The Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) marched south to cross the Ocmulgee River above Macon and destroy the Central Railroad toward Savannah. The left Wing (14th and 20th Corps), Maj. Gen. H. W. Slocum, USA, marched east from Atlanta by two routes, converging on Milledgeville. On the 30th, Gen. Sherman´s headquarters were with the 17th Corps at Burton (Midville), Gen Slocum´s in Louisville.

On Dec. 2nd the columns of the left wing reached the vicinity of Buckhead Church (3.3 miles W.). The 14th (less Baird´s division) had marched from Louisville on the Old Millen Road and camped three miles west of the church near Reynolds plantation. Baird had marched toward Waynesboro to support Kilpatrick´s Cavalry division in an attempt to burn the bridges over Brier Creek, north and east of Waynesboro. The 20th Corps, and Gen. Slocum and his staff, had marched on the Old Louisville Road., turning north at Birdsville to reach Buckhead Church.

That night. Hq. Left Wing and Hq. 20th Corps were established at Buckhead Church. Next morning, the column moved SE, crossed the Augusta and Savannah Railroad below the abandoned Confederate prisoner-of-war camp (2.3 miles S) and marched toward Savannah.

GHM 082-8B Georgia Historical Commission 1958



 

 

082-8B