Historic Markers Across Georgia



Johnson County



Marker ID: GHM 083-1
Location: Courthouse in Wrightsville
County: Johnson
Coordinates: N 32° 43.78    W 082° 43.168
  32.72966674    -82.71947377
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6H5X
Johnson County  Marker  



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 11, 1858, is named for Gov. Herschel V. Johnson. The County Site is named for John B. Wright, pioneer resident. Johnson, Governor from 1853 to ´57, ran for the Vice Presidency in 1860 on the ticket with Stephen A. Douglas of Illinois. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Joshua Hightower, Ordinary Theophilus Christian, Clerk of Superior Court James W. Walker, Clerk of Inferior Court Richard Walker, Tax Receiver Madison H. Mason. Tax collector Jacob T. Snell, Surveyor Wm. B. Snell and Coroner George W. Hammock.

GHM 083-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

 

083-1