Historic Markers Across Georgia



Clinton Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 084-1
Location: West edge of Clinton at the Dames Ferry Road
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 33° 0    W 083° 33.732
  33.00000234    -83.56219776
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6WT9
Clinton Methodist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This is the first Methodist church and the second church established in Jones Country. Land was appropriated in 1810 and July 14, 1821 a deep to the Clinton Methodist was made effective. The church was "a frame house of good dimensions with substantial stone steps of native granite.´´ A gallery for slaves was removed in 1897, The chandelier and brass wall brackets originally held kerosene lamps. This church was among the first to organize a foreign missionary society. Among the early pastors were Dr. Lovick Pierce and Rev. James Payne, 1836.

084-1 GEORGHISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Clinton Methodist Church
Clinton Methodist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

084-1