Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fortville



Marker ID: GHM 084-10
Location: On Ethridge Rd at Fortville between US 129 and Haddock
County: Jones
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Near here was Fortville, a Georgia town so named because a strong blockhouse was built here to protect early settlers from the Indians. It was the site of Fortville Academy, established in 1823 by Act of the Legislature. Trustees were Robert Hutchings, John W. Gordon, Thomas Jefferson, William Harris and Robert Brown. Daniel Pratt, architect and industrial builder who founded Prattville, Ala., in 1833, designed several fine homes in Jones and Baldwin counties. The Methodist church built in 1840 was later moved to Haddock.

GHM 084-10 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION