Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battle of Griswoldville



Marker ID: GHM 084-20
Location: Ga 18 3 miles south of Ga 49, at Old Griswoldville Road
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 32° 55.75    W 083° 24.29
  32.92917284    -83.40482677
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6WZ1
Battle of Griswoldville Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

On Nov. 22, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman´s army [USA] moved SE from Clinton (near Gray) towards Gordon and Irwinton on its destructive March to the Sea. Walcutt´s brigade, with two guns of Arndt´s Michigan Battery, was posted on the right to protect the movement from the persistent harassment of Wheeler´s cavalry [CSA] from the direction of Macon.

Near Griswoldville (7 miles SW). Walcutt was attacked by a division of Georgia Militia [CSA] under Brig. Gen. P. J. Phillips who approached via this road. After three hours of fighting in which both sides suffered severely. Phillips was forced to withdraw his command to Macon.

GHM 084-20 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

084-20