Historic Markers Across Georgia



Battle of Griswoldville The Deployment and Assault



Marker ID: GHM 084-26
Location: Across the RR tracks one mile east of Griswold
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 32° 52.143    W 083° 28.391
  32.86904644    -83.47317662
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6WYM
Battle of Griswoldville The Deployment and Assault Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

About 1:30 P.M. Nov. 22, 1864, after halting in Griswoldville to reform his column and report his progress, Brig. Gen. P.J. Phillips began moving his command (1st Division. Georgia Militia and attached units) east to clear the town, intending to halt there and await further orders. When the head of the column reached this vicinity, firing was heard about one half mile to the front. Riding forward, Phillips found Cook´s Athens and Augusta battalions engaged with Walcutt´s brigade [USA] which after retiring from Griswoldville, had taken up a strong position behind Little Sandy Creek, about one half mile east.

Sending Cook to the right, Phillips deployed Evans State Line regiments on his left with McCoy´s brigade on Evan´s left, its left near the railroad. About 2:30 P.M. Phillips advanced in three lines across the open fields southeast of this point.

Although he made seven assaults on the intrenched Union line, his untrained militia could not dislodge Walcutt´s battle-wise veterans and he was finally forced to retire towards Macon

GHM 084-26 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

084-26