Historic Markers Across Georgia



Samuel Griswold Iron-Master



Marker ID: GHM 084-3
Location: in small park on Pulaski St. 2/10 mile east of intersection of US 129 and Green Settlement Rd, 2 miles west of Gray City Hall
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 32° 59.82    W 083° 33.512
  32.99699321    -83.5585374
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6WRW
Samuel Griswold Iron-Master Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The first iron foundry in Georgia was established here by Samuel Griswold who came from Connecticut, settling in Clinton in 1820. He also manufactured about 1,000 cotton ghins a year and ran a steam sawmill and grist mill. Moving to Griswoldville in 1849 to be on the railroad his mansion and factories were burned by Sherman in 1864 when he was making pistols and ammunition for the Confederacy. He died in 1867. Daniel Pratt of Temple, N. H., later designer of the Alabama capitol, was at one time Griswold´s partner.

GHM 084-3 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

084-3