Historic Markers Across Georgia



Griswoldville



Marker ID: GHM 084-4
Location: On Henderson Road in Griswold
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 32° 52.265    W 083° 29.329
  32.8710778    -83.48882026
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6WTK
Griswoldville Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The town is named for Samuel Griswold who moved his iron foundries and cotton gin factories here from Clinton to be on the railroad. A disastrous unrecorded battle was fought here in 1864 when a force of old men and youths under Gen. Phillips, Capt. Robert H. Barron & Lt. Henry Greaves, sent from Macon by Gen. Howell Cobb in an attempt to force the Federals from the city, fought a bloody diversionary action against Kilpatrick´s Union Cavalry which then proceeded to Irwinton. Griswold´s factories and property were destroyed because he had made arms and ammunition for the Confederacy.


GHM 084-12 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

084-4