Historic Markers Across Georgia



Jones County



Marker ID: GHM 084-5
Location: on US 129 at the Jones County Courthouse, Gray, Ga.
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 33° 0.512    W 083° 32.182
  33.00853912    -83.5363638
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6WJY
Jones County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 10, 1807, is named for James Jones of Savannah, a legislator at 23 and member of the State Constitutional Convention in 1798 in which year he was elected to Congress. The first County Site was at Clinton but it was changed to Gray in 1905. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff James Riley, Clerk of Superior Court John R. Gregory, Clerk of Inferior Court James Bond, Tax Receiver Daniel Candler, Tax Collector Hillery Pratt, Coroner Thomas Thrower and Surveyor Charles Miller. First Justices of the Inferior Court were: William Binion, William Jones, Hugh M. Comer, James Jackson and John McKenzie.

GHM 084-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



Jones County Courthouse
Jones County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

084-5