Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Garrison Road



Marker ID: GHM 084-7
Location: Ga 49 just west of Ga 18
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 32° 57.229    W 083° 27.070
  32.95381666    -83.45116666
Style: Free Standing **
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
Old Garrison Road Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This road was built about 1800 by the State as a military road for the movement of troops between Milledgeville and Fort Hawkins (Macon) during the Indian Wars. It was strongly garrisoned to afford protection on this side of the Ocmulgee River, and was important in the assembling of troops during the War of 1812. Governors Peter Early and D.B. Mitchell passed here many times when inspecting their soldiers, each of whom carried long barreled flintlocks and powder horns with dried deer meat and rockahominy (parched, pounded Indian Corn meal) for food.

GHM 084-7 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION



 

 

084-7