Historic Markers Across Georgia



Sunshine Church II



Marker ID: GHM 084-8
Location: on Ga. 11 at Round Oak, Ga.
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 33° 6.5    W 083° 36.914
  33.10832834    -83.61523009
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1HTQ
Sunshine Church II Marker
Photo by ChapterhouseInc



Text:

Sunshine Church II, built in 1880 and dedicated in 1883 by Rev. Sam Jones, replaced old Sunshine Church, two miles south of here, which General Sherman´s troops burned in 1864. A wounded northern prisoner, B.F. Morris, Shelby, Ohio, cared for by the Hunt and Hascall families, came back in 1890 to preach in this church. R. J. Smith gave the land for the church and cemetery. First officers were: W. F. Smith, Pastor: George H. Patillo, Presiding Elder: J. P. Hunt, J. M. Hunt, J. W. Barron, R. J. Smith, W. F. White, Samuel Gordon, Stewards.


GHM 084 - 6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 

 

084-8