Historic Markers Across Georgia



Blountsville



Marker ID: GHM 084-9
Location: US 129 at Damascas Church Rd, 8 miles northeast of Gray
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 33° 6.581    W 083° 28.914
  33.10968183    -83.48189705
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6WJB
Blountsville Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Near here was Blountsville, an early stage-coach station and post office until after the War Between the States. It suffered severely during the War and the town disappeared. The home of many prominent families, Blountsville was the site of Blountsville Academy, chattered in 1834 with Allen Drury, William E. Ethridge, John W. Stokes, Francis Tufts and John W. Gordon serving as trustees. Blountsville was named for the Blount family, pioneer Georgians. A strong Baptist Church war here, first led be Rev. Benjamin Milner. The Tift, Dumas, Miller, Williams, McCullough and Hurt families were other pioneers.

GHM 084-9 Georgia Historical Commission 1955



 

 

084-9