Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pitts Chapel



Marker ID:  
Location: at 132 Pitts Chapel Road .1 south of the intersection with Ga 49, Macon, GA
County: Jones
Coordinates: N 33° 55.7344    W 083° 30.005
  33.92890666    -83.50008333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6WJR
Pitts Chapel Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

The first record of Pitts Chapel dates back to October 13, 1860 when three and three-fourths acres of land was purchased from James Walls for $130 for the purpose of erected a Methodist Episcopal Church. Upon this land was erected the largest and finest church of that time in Jones County. This church located at the crossroads in the southern part of the county was named Pitts Chapel for Peyton T. Pitts, Sr. who built it of his own means, and who was its main supporter until his death on July 1, 1885. The original frame building is of choice material and shows the skill and workmanship of Owen Bostle, master carpenter and slave. Several additions have been added through the years. In 1864, Pitts Chapel was commandeered by the Union Army as ant advanced surgical hospital. The first trustees were Peyton T. Pitts, Sr., Thomas J. Stewart, Albert O. Blanks, Washington Kelly, and Giles Griswold.

Marker placed by Jones County history and heritage




Pitts Chapel
Photo by David Seibert



 

084-A5