Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lamar County



Marker ID: GHM 085-2
Location: Courthouse in Barnesville
County: Lamar
Coordinates: N 33° 3.158    W 084° 9.365
  33.05263311    -84.15609148
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4JV0
Lamar County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Lamar County was created by Act of State Assembly August 17, 1920. It was named for Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar, lawyer, Colonel in the Confederate Army, U.S. Senator, Secretary of the Interior and Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. The first officers of Lamar County included: B.H. Hardy, Ordinary; S.J.Childers, Clerk of Court; Z.T. Elliott, Sheriff; E. Luther Butler, Tax Receiver; Gus Smith, B.K. Crouch, Coroner; Roger H. Taylor, Surveyor; J.F. Redding, Judge; Mrs. Mattie Barnes, School Supt.; H.M. Johnson, E.O. Dobbs, H. J. Kennedy, Solicitors.

GHM 085-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



Lamar County Courthouse
Lamar County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

085-2