Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Hospital



Marker ID: GHM 085-6
Location: Old US 41 in Milner
County: Lamar
Coordinates: N 33° 6.937    W 084° 11.775
  33.11561502    -84.1962582
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMPTZ0
Confederate Hospital Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

On this side stood one of Milner´s temporary hospitals for Confederate soldiers wounded in the Battles of Atlanta and Jonesboro in 1864. These men were hastily evacuated south on the only railroad from Atlanta still operated by the C.S.A. at that time. Dr. John F. Hunt, local physician, doctors from nearby communities and townspeople fed and cared for the wounded. 108 of these soldiers, from various companies and several southern states, died at Milner and were buried in a cemetery a mile from town on the Liberty Hill Road.

085-6 Georgia Historical Commission 1955




Confederate Hospital
Photo by David Seibert



 

085-6