Historic Markers Across Georgia



Gordon Military College



Marker ID: GHM 085-7A
Location: at Alumni Hall, intersection of College Dr. and Gordon Rd., Barnesville
County: Lamar
Coordinates: N 33° 2.79    W 084° 9.182
  33.04650326    -84.15302663
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4JV2
Gordon Military College Marker  



Text:

Founded as Male and Female Seminary in 1852, this was a pioneer school of its kind in Georgia. It was reorganized in 1872 as Gordon Institute, named for General John B. Gordon, famed Confederate soldier, Governor and Senator, who was a friend of Charles E. Lambdin, its first president. In 1927 this school became Gordon Military College, an Honor Military School, an accredited, non-sectarian, five year preparatory Junior College. Graduates have won distinction in many fields of endeavor. Senator Richard B. Russell is numbered among its prominent alumni.

GHM 085-7A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

085-7A