Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Hospitals



Marker ID: GHM 085-9
Location: Town Square (Market, Main & Taylor Sts) in Barnesville
County: Lamar
Coordinates: N 33° 3.234    W 084° 9.329
  33.05390739    -84.15548712
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4JQ2
Confederate Hospitals Marker  



Text:

In July 1864 the following hospitals were in Barnesville:

KINGSVILLE HOSPITAL, Surgeon B. N. Avent.

KINGSTON HOSPITAL, Surgeon George W. McDade, Asst. Surgeon V.S. Hopping. This hospital was moved from Kingston, Georgia.

MEDICAL COLLEGE HOSPITAL, Surgeon W. P. Westmoreland (also in charge at Milner). This hospital moved from Atlanta.

FLEWELLEN HOSPITAL, Surgeon Miles H. Nash. The hospital was named for Surgeon Edward A. Flewellen who lived at The Rock and is buried at Thomaston.

ERWIN HOSPITAL, Surgeons Joseph A. Groves and B. N. Avent.

GHM 085-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

085-9