Historic Markers Across Georgia



Goggans, Georgia



Marker ID:  
Location: Johnstonville Road in Goggins
County: Lamar
Coordinates: N 33° 4.573    W 084° 5.603
  33.07621259    -84.09338599
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4JVJ
Goggans, Georgia Marker  



Text:

Goggans was named for the family of John F. Goggans. He donated the land for the railroad station, general store, where the post office was located, and access land to the Union Primitive Baptist Church. At different times, the town was also known as Goggins Station and Goggansville. John F. Goggans was born in South Carolina in 1802. He married Rebecca Pitts in 1824. They founded Goggans in November, 1834 and lived there until their deaths. John, Rebecca and many descendants are buried in Union Primitive Baptist Church cemetery. Goggans General Store provided merchandise and postal services to the community until 1958.



 

 

085-A4