Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lanier County



Marker ID: GHM 086-1
Location: Courthouse in Lakeland
County: Lanier
Coordinates: N 31° 2.47    W 083° 4.513
  31.04117393    -83.0752182
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMC037
Lanier County Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

This County created by Acts of the Legislature of Aug. 11, 1919 & Aug. 7, 1920 is named for Sidney Lanier, poet of Georgia. Lanier was born in Macon Feb. 3, 1842 and practiced law there with his father after graduating from Oglethorpe Univ. then at Milledgeville. He married Mary Day of Macon in ´67 after serving in the Confederate Army and being captured while commanding a blockade runner. In ´73 he moved to Baltimore and lectured at Johns Hopkins. He died at Lynn, N.C. Sept. 7, 1881. Among his famous poems are ´The Marshes of Glynn´ & ´Song of the Chattahoochee.´

GHM 086-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Lanier County Courthouse
Lanier County
Photo by David Seibert



 

086-1