Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fender Cemetery



Marker ID: GHM 086-3
Location: Junction of US 221 and Ga 37 east of Lakeland
County: Lanier
Coordinates: N 31° 2.863    W 083° 2.137
  31.04770851    -83.03561401
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMC058
Fender Cemetery Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

A short distance east on this road is Fender Cemetery, in which are buried many of the first settlers of the area of old Lowndes County lying East of the Alabama River, from Union church. This location for the Cemetery was chosen because of the inconvenience of ferrying the bodies of the dead across the river for burial. As the grounds were on lands of David Fender, the cemetery was given his family name. The earliest marked grave is that of Josiah Sirmans, one of the organizers of Union Church, who died Jan. 6 1830. Fender Cemetery was first in Lowndes, then Clinch, and is now in Lanier County.

GHM 086-3 Georgia Historical Commission 1958




Fender Cemetery
Photo by Ken Moser



 

086-3