Historic Markers Across Georgia



Home of Governor E.D. Rivers (1895-1967)



Marker ID: GHS 86-1
Location: 1051 W. Main St., Lakeland
County: Lanier
Coordinates: N 31° 2.266    W 083° 5.475
  31.037763    -83.091248
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMC035
Home of Governor E.D. Rivers (1895-1967) Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

Eurith Dickinson Rivers was governor of Georgia from 1937 to 1941. He actively supported President Franklin D. Roosevelt´s New Deal Program. Rivers´ innovative leadership produce Georgia´s first Department of Public Welfare, free school books, the State Highway Patrol, and modernization of the state highway system. Born in Arkansas, Rivers married Lucile Lashley in 1914 and moved with his family to Milltown (later Lakeland) in 1920 to practice law. He is buried in Lakeland. Built in 1940 on the shores of Banks lake, the ranch style house, designed by Frank Byrd, was relocated to this site in the early 1980s.

2002.12 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, LILA, Inc., 86-1
Lanier County Lions Club, Farmers and Merchants Bank,
and Lakeland-Lanier Chamber of Commerce



Home of Governor E. D. Rivers
Home of Governor E.D. Rivers (1895-1967)
Photo by David Seibert



 

086-HS1