Historic Markers Across Georgia



Laurens County



Marker ID: GHM 087-2
Location: in traffic island adjacent to front of courthouse, Dublin, GA
County: Laurens
Coordinates: N 32° 32.417    W 082° 54.258
  32.54029157    -82.9042939
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Laurens County Marker
Photo by Ed Jackson



Text:

Laurens County was created by Act, of Dec. 10, 1807 from Wilkinson County. Originally it contained all of Pulaski and part of Johnson Counties. Among prominent residents of Laurens County were Gov. Geo. M. Troup and Gen. David Blackshear. It was named for Col John Laurens (1755- 1782), aide-de-camp to Gen. Washington. He fought with gallantry at Brandywine, Germantown, Monmouth, Savannah and Charleston. First officers of Laurens County, commissioned Jan. 14, 1808 were: James Thompson, Sheriff; Amos Love, Clk. Sup. Ct.; James Yarborough, Clk. Inf. Ct.; John Thomas, Surveyor; William Yarborough, Coroner.

GHM 087-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

087-2