Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lee County



Marker ID: GHM 088-4
Location: Courthouse in Leesburg
County: Lee
Coordinates: N 31° 43.953    W 084° 10.278
  31.73254487    -84.17129872
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4TAM
Lee County Marker  



Text:

Lee County was created by Act of June 9, 1825 and Dec. 11, 1826 from Creek cessions of Jan. 24, 1826 and March 31, 1826. Originally, it contained all land in Randolph, Stewart, Quitman, Sumter, Terrell, Webster and part of Marion and Clay Counties. Lee County was named for Richard Henry Lee (1732-1794), Virginia Congressman, who on June 7, 1776 moved ´that the colonies declare themselves free and independent.´ First officers, commissioned May 14, 1827, were: Nathan Powell, Sheriff; Joseph White, Clerk of Sup. and Inf. Courts. Commissioned August 26, 1828 were Abner Holliday, Surveyor, and Gabriel Parker, Coroner.

GHM 088-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

088-4