Historic Markers Across Georgia



Dorchester Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHM 089-11
Location: South 0.3 miles from Ga 38, 5.8 miles east of Midway Church
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 45.546    W 081° 21.289
  31.75909382    -81.3548113
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1QVG
 



Text:

This church, built in 1854 on a lot of four acres donated by B. A. Busbee, was first used for summer services only. On January 6, 1871, it was admitted into the Savannah Presbytery as an organized church of 14 members. The Rev. J. W. Montgomery was the first pastor. L. J. Mallard was the first ruling elder. The bell, from old Sunbury, was once used for church, school, market and town. The font and communion service are from Midway Church. The font was a gift from Dr. William McWhir, the tankard from John Lambert, the communion service from Simon Monroe, Esq. Elders contributing most in later years -- Preston Waite and Charles B. Jones.

GHM 089-11 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

089-11