Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Morris



Marker ID: GHM 089-12A
Location: Visitors Center, Fort Morris/Sunbury Historic Site
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 45.698    W 081° 16.915
  31.76164152    -81.2819114
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1KXY
 



Text:

Erected at the beginning of the Revolutionary War, to guard the Port of Sunbury and St. John´s Parish. Fort MOrries was an enclosed earthwork in the shape of an irregular quadrangle. Surrounded by a parapet and moat. It contained a parade of about an acres. The fort was defended by more than 23 pieces of ordinance of varied size, It was named in honor of Captain Morris, who commanded the company of artillery by which it was fiorst garrisoned early in 1776.

Colonel John McIntosh commended the garrison on November 25, 1778, when Col L.V. Fuser, with 500 British ground troops, supportrf by armed ships in the MEdway river, landed at Sunbury and demanded the immediate surrender of Fort Morris. Colonel McIntosh, with 127 Continental troops, some militia and citizens of Sunbury, less than men in all, replied, ´Come and Take It!´

The enemy retreated to the South, and Continental troops held Fort Morris until January 9, 1779, when it was captured by British forces.

GHM 089-12A Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 

 

089-12A