Historic Markers Across Georgia



Riceborough



Marker ID: GHM 089-13
Location: US 17/Ga 25 near the junction with Ga 119, Riceboro
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 44.709    W 081° 26.394
  31.74515434    -81.43989369
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM3E7N
 



Text:

Near the old North Newport Bridge, a short distance East of here, the Court House Square for Liberty County was laid out by Act of February 1, 1797. Riceborough was then the Seat of justice for Liberty County, and a Court House and Public Buildings were erected here on land given by Matthew McAllister, Esq. Thomas Stevens, Daniel Stewart, Joel Walker and henry Wood were named Commissioners.

Riceborough was for many years an important port for the shipping of rice and other agricultural products from this area.

GHM 089-13 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1957



 

 

089-13