Historic Markers Across Georgia



Liberty County



Marker ID: GHM 089-6
Location: Courthouse, Commerce and Midway Streets, Hinesville
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 50.856    W 081° 35.737
  31.84759534    -81.59561965
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1KQ5
 



Text:

Liberty County, an original county, was created by the Consitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from Creek Cession of May 20, 1733. It had been organized in 1758 as the Parishes of St. John, St. Andrew, and St. James, the theatre of many important events during the Revolution, Liberty County was named for American Independence. Form it all of Long and McIntosh Counties were formed. Samuel Morecock was commissioned Sheriff in 1778. Wm. Barnard became Surveyor, Feb 17, 1782. Francis Coddington in 1785 was made Clerk of Inf, and Sup. Courts of Liberty, Glynn and Camden Counties. John Lawson was sworn in as Coroner in 1790.

GHM 089-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

089-6