Historic Markers Across Georgia



Walthourville Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHM 089-9
Location: Old Walthourville, 2.8 miles south of Allenhurst
County: Long
Coordinates: N 31° 45.011    W 081° 36.818
  31.75017715    -81.61364
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This church was the first colony to go out from the old Midway Congregational Church. The first building was erected in 1820 on land donated by Andrew Walthour. The present one, constructed near the original site in 1884, replaced buildings destroyed by fire and storm. Walthourville Presbyterian Church was organized in 1855. First pastors were the Rev. John Jones, supply, the Rev. Robert S. Mallard; elders, William Q. Baker, Thomas S. Mallard; deacons, David A. Miller, Thomas W. Quarterman. Second in size in Georgia Presbytery in 1861, this church led in benevolent gifts. The original site for Walthourville Cemetery nearby was donated by William D. Bacon in 1872.

GHM 089-9 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



 
Notes:

Mis-numbered--actually in Long County

 

089-9