Historic Markers Across Georgia



Hinesville Methodist Church



Marker ID: LCHS 
Location: at church 1 block north of courthouse in Hinesville
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 50.938    W 081° 35.761
  31.84896678    -81.59601405
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1KPR
 



Text:

The year 1837 marked the founding of Hinesville and the establishment of the Hinesville Methodist Church. For one hundred years this was the only church in HInesville. The first services were held in a small frame building near the Bradwell Institute on Courthouse Square. A larger structure was later erected and used until 1942 when the church built a new edifice at the corner of main Street and Memorial Drive. In 1985 a new building was completed.

The first recorded trustees of the church were Edward Way, E.O. Andrews, John Wells, Thomas Sheppard and David Zoucks.

In 1987 the congregation celebrated one hundred and fifty years of doing the Lord´s work in HInesville.

GHM ERECTED 1998 BY THE LIBERTY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY



 

 

089-A10