Historic Markers Across Georgia



Midway Museum



Marker ID: DAC 
Location: US 17/Ga 25 at Midway Museum, Midway
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 48.401    W 081° 25.827
  31.8066841    -81.43044975
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1M53
 



Text:

Established by South Carolina Calvinists of English and Scottish extraction in 1752, the small settlement of Midway became ´the cradle of the Revolutionary spirit in Georgia´. Two of Georgia´s three signers of the Declaration of Independence, Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett, were sons of Midway, as were four Revolutionary Governors of the young state.

Exhibits, documents and furnishings housed in the Midway Museum commemorate and reanimate the love of liberty which distinguished the Midway Society from the Colonial period through its last meeting in December 1865,

Built in 1957, the Museum is owned and administered by the Midway Museum, Inc., organized by the Saint John´s Parish Chapter, Daughters of the American Colonists and by the Liberty County Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy.

National Society Daughters of the American Colonists
Georgia State Society, 1990



 

 

089-A14