Historic Markers Across Georgia



Nathan Brownson



Marker ID: DAC 
Location: US 17/Ga 25 at Midway Church
County: Liberty
Coordinates: N 31° 48.331    W 081° 25.822
  31.80550904    -81.43036438
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1M7J
 



Text:

Georgia Colonial governor, trustee of the proposed University of Georgia, physician, Nathan Brownson became governor of Georgia in 1781, serving until Jan. 1782. Prior to this time Brownson served as a member of the Provencial [sic] Congress which met in Savannah July 4, 1775. He was, also, a delegate to the Continental Congress from 1776-1778 and was surgeon to a Georgia brigade.

Born in Connecticut in 1742, a graduate of Yale College, Brownson studied medicine and practiced that profession in his home state, moving to St. John´s Parish (now Liberty County), Georgia in 1764. Active in the cause of liberty, Brownson became one of the leaders in the revolutionary cause. He was one of the delegates to the state convention that ratified the U.S. Constitution in Augusta on 31 December 1787.

Nathan Brownson died in Liberty County October 18, 1796, being best remembered as governor and as one of the founders of the University of Georgia.

ERECTED 1992 BY THE GEORGIA STATE SOCIETY
DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN COLONISTS



 

 

089-A15